Business Development Proposal Writer
Experienced - Non Managerial
United States-California-Huntington Beach
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION: A leading workforce technology and management solutions company has an urgent need for a technical writer & documentation specialist. This position offers the opportunity to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, collaboration with multiple departments and a great opportunity to combine technical software knowledge with creativity to produce professional materials for internal and external customers.Under the direction of leadership, works with administrative and sales professionals, subject matter experts and other stakeholders within the organization’s many business verticals and respective departments to prepare responsive and convincing proposals and presentation materials (i.e. RFPs, RFIs, corporate overviews, white papers, case studies, business letters, and more). Manages daily workload effectively and efficiently, prioritizing activity in concert with leadership while contributing positively to writing team and work environment. Works directly with business development directors and other executives to design, build and finalize client-facing documents pre- and post- contract award.
Key success factors include strong writing and editing skills, a solid work ethic, ability to balance workload, manage multiple projects and meet (or beat) deadlines, while maintaining a keen eye for detail and professional communication with stakeholders (internal and external). Apply for this great position as a technical documentation specialist today! Please include salary requirements. Note: This job ad describes a direct placement position with Agile-1 (one of the ACT-1 Group of companies). This is not a requisition for 3rd party placement. As an EEO/AA employer, Act1 Personnel Service, Inc., values a diverse combination of perspectives and experiences.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• B.A. and/or equivalent 3 to 5 years of experience with proposal preparation and submission. Ideal candidate should have at least 5 years of industry experience and strong technical writing and editing skills.
• Effective organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple tasks in order to meet schedules and deadlines.
• Ability to work well in a team and meet tight deadlines.
• Experience working with sales/marketing teams.
• Project management skills.
• Experience working with senior management and organization’s multiple disciplines (technical, product management, marketing, pricing, contracts).
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Project.
• Rudimentary graphic design skills (i.e., familiarity with Illustrator, Photoshop, et al) a plus.
• Knowledge of formal proposal management methodologies and processes, such as Shipley.
• Experience working on proposals for both commercial and public sector agencies.
• Experience writing for both service and technology related solutions.
• Experience working with international clientele and organizations desired.
• Expected to be an enthusiastic, outgoing, driven and motivated individual who can work as part of a cross functional team. A “hunter”, “doer” mentality is a must.
• Perform all job responsibilities with total integrity and accountability.
• Excellent English language verbal communications skills. French and/or Spanish a plus.
• Working knowledge of desktop computers and MS Office, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Salesforce.com a plus. Internet and Internet based technologies.
• Excellent verbal and written communications and organizational skills.
• Professional appearance.
• Able to prioritize multiple tasks without compromising service or quality.
• Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Ethical, fair and professional conduct in all candidate, client, and peer interactions.
• Flexible, accountable and a team player.
• Available to work overtime.
• Energetic and able to work well in a fast paced environment.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT: Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) in Business, Technical Writing, Journalism or a Science; three to five (3-5) years related experience in technical writing; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
LANGUAGE/COMMUNICATION SKILLS (written & verbal): Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedural manuals. Ability to present information effectively and to respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as mark-up percentages, bill rates, discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
COMPUTER/SYSTEM SKILLS REQUIREMENTS: Working knowledge of computers including Windows environments, email, and the internet. Proficiency with MS Office applications including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project and Visio. Ability to quickly learn proprietary technology.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS: None required
TRAVEL REQUIREMENT: Light to moderate travel requirements
PHYSICAL DEMANDS (indicate % of time):
Standing: Carrying up to 25lbs
Sitting: Sitting up to 8 hours a day
Walking: Minimal to Moderate
Repetitive Motion: Telephone Use, Keyboard Activity, Reaching and Grasping
Air Travel: Light to Moderate
Lifting (lbs): Up to 25lbs
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Reviews incoming solicitations and requests
• Oversees all proposal activities during proposal phase and post-submittal activities and documents accordingly. Manages research and data collection efforts to fully define RFP requirements.
• Completes supplier applications, registrations and related documents
• Works with writing team(s), executives, Business Development Directors and SMEs on development of content. Responsible for maintaining and updating database with current and accurate content (daily)
• Advises on complex proposal issues (e.g., that require third-party solutions, non-standard functionality) and makes recommendations to assist with interpreting client request.
• Ability to translate complex concepts into layperson narrative.
• Conducts kick-off/strategy meetings, leads teams through the process of developing a work plan and assigning content responsibilities and follows through on compliant/timely proposal submission.
• Develops written responses and re-writes/edits (i.e.; drafts, revisions) as necessary to demonstrate company’s competitive strengths while utilizing database for core content.
• Maintains proposal reports, content knowledge bases, and helps to initiate tracking processes and tools.
• Impeccable spelling and grammar, with strong understanding of formal style guides such as Chicago Manual and AP.
• Superior communication and customer skills, both to internal and external stakeholders.
• Participate in monthly required knowledge sharing sessions and roundtable workshops with the writing team.
• Ability to understand complex software requirement specifications and interview programmers and support personnel to obtain understanding of features and functions.
• Ability to use graphics programs to capture, resize, and import screenshots into documentation
• Proven strategic thinking and analytical skills.
• Possess excellent written and oral communication skills as well as presentation skills.
• Good project management capabilities and the ability to handle a wide range of concurrent activities.
• The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, where collaboration is necessary and accountability is expected.
• The ability to work effectively under pressure and make decisions independently.
• Proven track record of managing and completing projects on time/budget
• Software Requirements: FrameMaker, MS Office Suite, MS Project – 3 years; Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Visio, Dreamweaver
• Other duties and special projects as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES/# OF STAFF: This job has no immediate supervisory responsibilities.
Check this box to review your existing application before applying for this job. Note: This only applies to applicants with existing accounts.